#16 – 1913 Flood, East Central Avenue, looking east toward State Route 725 Bridge and Seven Mile Creek.

The White House Hotel and Restaurant appear on the far left side of the photo.  This building was the IGA and Porter’s Grocery in the mid-1950’s and 1960’s.  In recent years and until recently, the Video Shop was located in this old White House Hotel Building.  In this photo, just beyond the White House Hotel is the livery stable (sign is partially visible).  See photo #98 for a good picture of this livery stable, taken in the early 1900’s. The 1913 flood alarm was first raised in the early morning of Tuesday, March 19, 1913.  Shortly after 2:00am the banks of Beasley’s Branch gave way and changed its course entirely until it flowed through the eastern section of town and emptied into Seven Mile at the foot of Second Street.  Some places  were surrounded with four to twelve feet of water, which came to within a few feet of the corner of Main and Central Avenue.  Camden lost no human lives, but considerable live stock were lost. Thousands of dollars of damage was done to businesses, buildings, streets, and sidewalks.  Businesses with the greatest losses were J.C. Snider’s cement plant, J.E. Parker’s poultry and produce house, Robert Hamilton’s sawmill, W. W. Duckwall’s tobacco warehouse, the Edward Slover Fertilizer Company, the Payne & Eikenberry Company, The Farmer’s Grain and Supply Company, R.R. Duskey’s Hardware Store, George Pollock’s Grocery, Harry Bennet’s blacksmith shop, and J.T. Gift’s harness and shoe repair shop.  (Source: Master’s Thesis.  History of Camden, Ohio 1803 – 1955, by Ruth Neff, pp 232-233.)

Full Image Camden Archives: