Based on the powers vested in the Board of Trustees of the Preble County District Library in the Ohio Revised Code 3375.40 and pursuant to Ohio Revised Code 149.432, the Preble County District Library adopts the following policy on the confidentiality of library records.
The Preble County District Library specifically recognizes that its circulation records and other records identifying the names of library users with specific materials are confidential in nature. Such records will be released only under the following circumstances:
- If a library record or patron information pertaining to a minor child is requested by the minor child's parent, guardian; or custodian, the library shall make that record or information available to the parent, guardian, or custodian.
- If any agency of state, federal or local government, or to any individual issues a subpoena, search warrant or other court order, or subpoena as may be relating to civil, criminal, or administrative discovery procedures or legislative investigator power. Upon receipt of such subpoena, search warrant or court order the library's officers will consult with their legal counsel to determine if it is in proper form.
- If a law enforcement officer produces proper identification and who is acting in the scope of their duties and is investigating a matter involving public safety requiring immediate attention.
- If the consent of the individual who is the subject of the record or information requests the release of that information.
- If the library needs the information for administrative purposes, including the establishment or maintenance of a system to manage the library records or to assist in the transfer of library records from one records management system to another, for the compilation of statistical data on library use, and the collection of fines and penalties.